Deacons Host the Giving Tree
year we are thrilled to have both an in-person Giving Tree and a virtual Giving Tree. Please take time on Nov 21 or Nov 28 to choose and sign out a tag or two from our Giving Tree in the Chapel Narthex or from our online Giving Tree: https://bit.ly/FPCGivingTree
We are supporting several programs including: New Avenues for Youth, Friendly House Senior Citizens, With Love Foster Care Support, EMO Men’s Day Center, and Life Change Center for Women & Children. These organizations are very appreciative of our support again this year. All online Giving Tree gifts will be sent directly to the organization and all in-person Giving Tree gifts are due by Sunday, Dec 5. Do not wrap any gift but please be sure to attach the gift tag so our wonderful Deacons can deliver it to the correct organization. Christmas Blessings to all!
All about our Deacons
What is a Deacon?
The Book of Order calls ordained deacons to a ministry of “compassion, witness, and service, sharing in the redeeming love of Jesus Christ for the poor, the hungry, the sick, the lost, the friendless, the oppressed, those burdened by unjust policies or structures, or anyone in distress” (G-2.0201). Besides being persons who have answered the lofty call above, the FPC deacons are the hands, feet, and heart of our congregation.
What do Deacons do?
Our team of deacons are in charge of a wide variety of ministries of the church including but not limited to:
- Caring Cards– Sent to members and friends of the church who are going through a hard time or loss.
- DEAR Fund – This is a fund that is taken up by special offerings on the 5th Sunday of the month. The deacons oversee the fund which is available to members who are experiencing a one-time financial emergency. It is a confidential process and if you are in need, please contact one of our pastoral staff.
- Friends at Home Visiting – Our teams are paired up with members who for different reasons not able to come to church and be a part of our community, so we bring the community to them.
- Home Communion – We have teams of deacons and elders who bring communion to member’s homes several times a year. If you would like to receive home communion and are not currently on our list, please contact the church office or one of our pastoral staff.
- Memorial Hosting/Receptions –
- Prayer Shawls/Child of God Blankets – A wonderful team of knitters blesses the deacons with shawls and blanks that are brought to members and friends of the church in seasons of illness, loss, hardship, and trouble. We have blankets to bless a family who celebrates the birth of a new child or to welcome them into the life of the church at baptism.
- Transportation – Each Sunday our church van stops by a couple of different assisted living facilities to bring members to the church.
Neighborhood Deacon Teams
Because we are a congregation that lives all over the Portland Metro area and up into Washington, our deacons are split geographically into teams to better serve and connect our members. To learn about what deacon team you belong to please see the zip code list below. To be in touch with your neighborhood team or if you have questions about the deacons please contact the church office.
Southwest Deacons Team:
Deacons: Grace Babatunde, Dustin Coles, Bruce Felix, Gordon Limbloom, Jim Patterson, Laurna Shively
Zip Codes: 97003, 97005, 97007, 97008, 97034, 97035, 97062, 97068, 97070, 97075, 97078, 97119, 97123, 97140, 97219, 97223, 97224
Northwest Deacons Team:
Deacons: Jeane Iles, Fonda Lucas, Dick McFall, Molly Spencer
Zip Codes: 97006, 97051, 97056, 97124, 97221, 97225, 97229, 97231
Downtown Deacons Team:
Deacons: David Hawkins, Bill Resley, Shelby Walker
Zip Codes: 97201, 97205, 97209, 97210, 97239
Eastside & Washington Deacons Team:
Deacons: Rebecca Brownell Brown, James Brunner, Cathy Chang-Lowe, Jess Dallas, Emily Jo Jensen
Zip Codes: 97009, 97015, 97019, 97030, 97080, 97086, 97202, 97203, 97206, 97211, 97212, 97213, 97214, 97215, 97216, 97217, 97220, 97230, 97232, 97233, 97236, 97266, 97267